Monday, February 23, 2009

Stonehenge Cowl

Was it last fall when I bought this beautiful BFL "Stonehenge" roving from Crown Mountain Farms? I remember Angela loved this roving after seeing it, and bought a bump of it, too. We both starting spinning at about the same time-- Interestingly enough, I think we both preferred each other's received version of the colorway. Mine (above) was pretty, yet muted. Hers had a bit more of a punch, and turned into this truly gorgeous laceweight!

I split the 8 ounces of roving in half and spun them into singles on my Reeves Frame. I did not use the fractal method. The color was spun just as it came.

The singles were tightly plied together, and I was really happy with the resulting sport weight yarn. All in all, there was 475 yards.
After letting the yarn marinate in the stash for a few months, I decided to knit the spiral cowl by Keri McKiernan with it. What a joy to be able to knit with yarn you have made!

After a wet block, it's just perfect.

6 comments:

twinsetellen said...

It really is perfect. I loved seeing the creation of the yarn. It changes so with each step of the process. Then knit up it is different again. I hope to meet it in person soon!

Cathy-Cate said...

First handspun project -- wow! It looks wonderful, and how great to be able to actually use it! (and show it off!)
;-)

Elemmaciltur said...

Nice cowl! Although I still am not so sure about cowls. But it looks great on you and it's your handspun, too! Congrats!

Guinifer said...

Wow - that project was/is beautiful from beginning to end!

aj said...

It's so beautiful!! I love how yours turned out! It's all a great match: from the colors to your spinning technique to the pattern choice. Bellissima!

Jess said...

I love it!