Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Sock Monkeys!?!

If you know me well, you know that I kinda hate sock monkeys. (and clowns)
Sock Monkeys were the only toys around at my evil step grandmother's home. She made an entire sea of them. My brother, on the other hand, thinks they're absolutely hilarious. Two holidays ago I sewed orange and brown sock monkey pillowcases for him-- and now they're not only worn out, but they don't match his new home.
For J & G and they're new blue/green/tan condo walls:Since the Singer Featherweight was out, I sewed a set for myself.
No Sock Monkeys for me!


Knitting content? So, I pulled out a sock from the infamous drawer. This was my first toe-up attempt, and boy is the work sloppy! See how it torques? (It goes away with blocking). I think these were started 3 years ago. The yarn is wound in a huge ball, and I still thought verigated yarn and lace was o.k. I'm continuing with the pattern because the "Indian Corn" bearfoot color is a lovely autumnal shade, and the Tiger Eye lace actually does lend to a corn-like aesthetic.

5 comments:

Deepa said...

I remember those socks! A pat on the back for tackling that sock drawer. And yes, the yarn and pattern do work.

Love the pillowcases- sock monkeys and all. :D MUST buy 'Sock and Glove'.

Guinifer said...

Well, I like sock monkeys, but I can understand your antipathy.

Mary Jo said...

I really like that colorway--it does look like Indian corn, & the lace pattern is still distinguishable.

Diane said...

To date I've avoided the entire monkey sock thing. Lucky me. Love your pillowcase.

Yoga with Gaileee said...

Thank you for linking to my main website for the Singer Featherweight!!

Gaileee

p.s. Here is my sewing project page. All done with the featherweight (with one exception...the appliques...)
http://www.gpbwebworks.com/fwinfo/projects.html