Friday, January 18, 2008

First Handspun

I'm completely in awe.

Can you believe this yarn?

I thought my first handspun would be just horrible. Now, it's not perfect in any sense of the word other than it is what it is-- a rustic and wonderful mass of spiraling color that ranges in thickness from dk to hvy worsted. Expectations were a lumpy, bumpy nasty mess of unuseable yarn.

Honestly, I would actually buy this yarn from someone else! The skein moves from warm to cool tones. Plying was a great deal of fun. Watching the colors come together was absolutely magical.

Spinning your own yarn is great. I highly recommend giving it a try. It's relaxing & meditative (for the most part). I loved just about every moment of it.

A few minor problems: 1. One bobbin came undone (the end cap literally popped off) 2. I had a heck of a time maintaining appropriate tension with both the scotch break and driveband. Yesterday I tried out a lovely double drive wheel. It was lovely! 3. I didn't understand what my mentor said when she told me to "turn the wheel counterclockwise to ply". I thought she meant to physically move the wheel. Insead, you have the wheel spin in the opposite direction. The singles are spun clockwise, and the yarn is plyed together counter-clockwise. Approximately 1/2 of the twist on each of the singles goes away.

Nearly all of the pigtail twists are now gone. This is what I meant by 'enthusiastic' singles in the previous post.

Many thanks, Marge.

Now, onto that Potato Cannon...

19 comments:

Erik said...

Or you could just buy one of these off of ebay:

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20080117/ShootingKitty1_540x405.jpg

Jeanne said...

Wow! That did turn out rather well. No, I'm not going to start spinning.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Oh, that is wondrously beautiful! I am so tempted to spin (like I need another addiction--er, hobby.

Knitting in Pink said...

It is absolutely gorgeous! Great job on your first handspun. Congrats and have fun with your next spinning!

Diane said...

Wow I so totally love this yarn. Love the thick/thin and the colors are great.

Miss T said...

Wow, looks great! Let us know when you're ready to take orders. :o)

Stacey said...

it's beautiful! i would expect to see it on Etsy!!!

fluffbuff said...

That's beautiful yarn! I can't believe it's your first handspun. =:o

Guinifer said...

You lost me at "rustic and wonderful mass of spiraling color", but I like it anyway. Our neighbors did a potato cannon test into another neighbors swimming pool last summer. Hilarious (to us, anyway, maybe not to the other neighbor...)

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, that's beautiful. That would stop me in my tracks at a yarn store. In a good way.

Deb said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

InkyOrchid said...

That is just too gorgeous! I am in awe.

*resist the spinning urge*

Jillsknit said...

Beautiful skein! I can't wait to see it knit up into something wonderful.

Carrie said...

It's gorgeous, great job!

Kitt said...

Oh wow. I would buy that just to look at it.

Carrie said...

You're in awe? No, I'M in awe--the yarn is gorgeous!

Elemmaciltur said...

Congratulations on such a lovely hank of your own hand-spun!

Karen S, Lykkefanten said...

Congratulations on your first handspun!! It is something wonderful to produce your first own yarn!

Happy spinning

Deepa said...

I still want the Royal Robe. Spin up another 190 yards, you have yourself a customer!

You sure took to it like a fish to water- seriously amazing work for a first-timer.