Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Adventures in Dyeing

At the knitting retreat this weekend someone gave a mustard skein of Gems Opal away. The moment I saw the neglected skein on the floor (it had been thrown in discust as somone 'traded' a batch of handyed yarn for a few skeins including gems via the roll doubles-dice game), I thought this would be a perfect skein for a dyeing experiment! An acid dye kit found it's way to my home about two weeks ago, and it was calling out.

"Use me. Try me. You know you can do it!"


I'm really pleased. The gradation is really lovely. A horrible sense of awareness now surrounds me.... ANOTHER hobby?
Last year about this time I purchased four skeins of Jaeger Trinity from the annual Web's sale, which coincidentally is happening right now. Be forewarned. It's not nearly as exciting as last year's sale! Dear Webs, we knitters are not nearly as tempted as last year to buy yarn from your annual sale. Last year we had great yarns, fabulous color choices, and a whole lot of it... At any rate, the Trinity colorway was Hibiscus-- a lovely light purple/pink with white flecks. The problem is that I really wanted to buy the cobalt color, but didn't want to pay an extra $5/skein.

So, I tried to achieve the cobalt color:

The skeins are still drying, but they're looking spot-on right now.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

you go!!! make what you want instead of buying it! opal is one of my favorite yarns - what a great job you did!!!!

AsKatKnits said...

Wow! That is gorgeous! I'd love to learn that!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

That's a gorgeous blue! I wasn't tempted enough to buy anything from the anniversary sale, but I did get some good sock yarn from the store's other sale. : )